Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Monkey Business at Batu Caves

Okay so I realise it’s been a month since I last posted anything, and this was the thing I was afraid of when I was contemplating on whether to start this blog or not...It’s just been suuuuch a crazy-ass-busy-but-so-much-fun-at-the-same-time kinda month. As said in the previous post a month ago, my parents visited me in London for a few days, after which I had about 3 days to finish 2 assignments for uni that I’d hardly even started (my own fault for not starting earlier, yes I know) before I left for a 2 week vacation in Malaysia, and then after I got back from literally the other side of the world, I had a massive presentation to finish for uni again, all whilst trying to battle a horrid jet lag and keeping up at work at the same time. And now that I've got only about 2 months left at uni before graduation, I'm swamped with work on my dissertation and reading for finals, so yay to the yay and so forth. This is pretty much the first time I’ve actually had a chance to give any thought to keeping this blog alive in a long while, but I promise I’ll be try be good from now on.

It had been such a long time since I’d actually taken a “proper” holiday, since in the past 2-3 years I’ve lived in London I’ve always travelled to Finland to see my family and friends whenever I had any sort of break from uni, so actually travelling outside the route between London and Finland felt a bit surreal to be honest. I’m not going to write a full description about the 2 weeks (because let’s be honest – who cares), all I’ll say is that it was my first time visiting Asia and fell completely in love. I was kind of, well, a lot, worried about the tropical temperatures since I’m more used to living in cold climates, and I was really surprised at how easily my body actually got used to the climate! Strotting down the concrete jungle of London makes me miss sweating like a sugarholic in a cake shop. Wearing make-up seemed less and less attractive and necessary as the days went on and by the end of it, me and my friends were starting to turn into regular hippies. We are all more or less city girls, but if this change happened in a matter of days, I wonder what a few more weeks travelling around would have done to us, he he. I’ve had a secret burning desire to go travel around Asia for years now, and this 2 week trip only enhanced that urge; we met some amazing people during the trip, saw some wonderful places, and that was only in Malaysia.

One of the best places I saw while in Kuala Lumpur was the Batu Caves. Built inside a limestone hill, the cave is one of the most popular Hindu shrines outside India, and an important focal point of Hindu festival of Thaipusam in Malaysia. I found the caves really beautiful obviously, but to be completely honest, the best part was observing the monkeys that live within the caves. I could have spent hours filming them, the stairs would also make a kick-ass place for running practise!

 photo signature_zpsd9c1c65c.png

No comments:

Post a Comment